The South-West Pacific Area (SWPA) Advanced Land Headquarters was a military headquarters established in Brisbane, Australia in August 1942. The headquarters was led by Australian General Thomas Blamey, who was Commander-in-Chief of the Australian Military Forces (AMF) and also had the role of Commander, Allied Land Forces.
The purpose of the SWPA Advanced Land Headquarters was to plan and coordinate Allied land operations in the South West Pacific Area. The headquarters was responsible for a wide range of activities, including intelligence gathering, logistics, and communications.
The headquarters was located in two unfinished buildings on the University of Queensland campus at St Lucia. The buildings were the Forgan Smith Building and the Chemistry Building. The headquarters was operational from August 1942 to December 1944, when it moved to Hollandia in Dutch New Guinea.
The SWPA Advanced Land Headquarters was an important strategic and operational center during World War II. The headquarters played a key role in planning and coordinating the Allied land campaigns in Papua and New Guinea. The headquarters also provided support to Allied forces throughout the South West Pacific Area.
After the war, the Forgan Smith Building was completed and used as the University of Queensland’s administrative headquarters. The Chemistry Building was used for teaching and research. Both buildings are now heritage-listed.
The SWPA Advanced Land Headquarters was a vital part of the Allied war effort in the South West Pacific Area. The headquarters’ planning and coordination helped to ensure the success of Allied land campaigns in the region. The headquarters also provided support to Allied forces throughout the area, helping to keep them supplied and equipped. The SWPA Advanced Land Headquarters played a significant role in the Allied victory in the South West Pacific Area.